If you are an active member there are two parts of the Fund that you can join - The Career average plan and the Investing plan.
In this short video we explain the basic principles of how a Career average scheme works.
If you are an active member, you are automatically a member of the Career average plan:
- The pension you build up in the Career average plan each year is based on a formula.
- The annual pension built up in a year is equal to: 1/60 x Pensionable Earnings between two levels (£7,077 and £63,800 at 1 April 2021)
- Your pension is based on your pensionable earnings between two levels and the pensionable service you build up in the Fund.
- Your pension is then protected against inflation.
- Inflation is the general rise in prices, normally measured by the 'Retail Prices Index' - a figure taken from measuring how costs increase across a range of goods and services.
- You pay 5% of your pensionable earnings between the two levels into the Plan – and you do not pay income tax on the contributions you make.
- Your pension is usually paid from age 65 – but you may have the option of retiring early or late.
- The Fund gives valuable protection for you and your family/dependents if you were to die before you retire, or if you became too ill to work.
You can get more information on the Career average plan from the Unilever Pension Fund website:
We are not Independent Financial Advisers (IFAs) and nothing on this website should be construed as independent financial advice. If you feel you would benefit from speaking to an IFA about your personal circumstances, you can find out more information here